The Library

 

The original nucleus of the library dates back to 1783, the year when the Private Society was officially recognised and raised to the rank of Royal Academy. However, it can be assumed that even before that time various volumes were exchanged and circulated among the members of the Private Society. The library as such was founded in 1784, when the western wing of the former College of Nobles became home to the Academy.

Since 1786 the Memorie of the Academy has included a record of the new publications acquired, including lists of titles, year received and name of the donors.

In large part the library holdings are the fruit of bequests by members and supporters, some of whom have contributed to its growth by donating entire collections.

 

 

Foto schedario con Darwin